6 Jun 2013

A CAT OR SHAKESPEARE's CAT ?

Jenny Matlock
more participants at Jenny Matlock's Alphabet Thursday


When on my tour around the UK we stopped in Stratford upon Avon which is Shakespeare's birthplace, I was without any doubt the only one who was less interested in Shakespeare's life and where he was buried but rather in a cat about which I had read in April in a post written by  Barbara from Words, Words, Words.  about a ginger cat who lives opposite Shakespeare's birthplace. I had told the whole bus, driver and guide included that I also wanted to look for this cat. My traveling companions (10 different nationalities) laughed and were all with me and promised to also keep an open eye, even the once who came from continents where people are not so cat friendly.



I did my duty and followed the group, although I knew Shakespeare from school, he wrote in perfect German too



I admired the house and the Holy Trinity Church outside and inside but not the grave because they asked 5 £ to have a look on a stone. There were more interesting stones to see in the outside graveyard.

As soon as we had free time, I started my investigations as Chief inspector Gattina with my Detective sergeant Ilona. After having asked in a first souvenir shop I was told by an Asian looking lady that the cat would live a little further in a souvenir shop. First she thought she misunderstood and I was asking for a Shakespeare's cat sculpture. I don't know if Shakespeare had a cat, it wasn't written nowhere. When I asked in the second shop the owner smiled, and told me the cat's name was Angus and that he always walks up and down the street, and that he thinks that Angus belonged to another shop a little further down the road.



We started walking down the road and I asked in another shop. There several vendors came and gathered around us to report about Angus. That he goes in every shop, but isn't a stray cat and wears a collar. Some evidences more.



But in the other shops I got the same answers, and nobody had seen Angus this day. I concluded that he must be very intelligent and not walk along his personal street when it was a bank holiday in England and his street packed with tourists and worse ... with dogs !



Angus prefers his street like this, as shown by Barbara



He also needs a little space to water the souvenir post cards.

I left my Chief Inspector mission and returned as simple tourist to the bus. Nobody had seen Angus. But  at least the whole bus had something to laugh about.



Now the conclusion is : "To be or not to be Shakespeare's cat, that is the question" !

PS. Please notice that Shakespeare is wearing an earring !!

18 comments:

  1. You will have to go back, we need an Angus sighting.
    I had to read Shakespeare at school too, enough to put me off Shakespeare for life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I really like the neighbor cat Shakespeare house, precious pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It really looks like Angus is spraying the post cards. Say it is not so. What a laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to hear you missed Angus. Trust you to be more interested in the cat than Shakespeare.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was a fun excursion! At least you saw some photos of Angus! (So good of him to water the postcards, BTW!) Love that earring....

    ReplyDelete
  6. The descendants of Hemingway's cats wander around his house in Key West. It's fun to see!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw! Too bad you didn't see Angus.
    He is now the talk of the town. lol
    Imagine tourists coming to visit with the cat lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. We wish you'd seen Angus - maybe you'd have had more luck if you'd got something tasty in a bowl for him to eat!
    Luv Hannah and Lucy xx xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. That would be a fun place to visit, but I think I enjoyed your story of the cat even more than I would enjoy the actual Shakespeare tourist stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It was fun for all even though you couldn't find Angus. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Angus somehow seems like a perfect name for an English cat. And now he's famous too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wish you could have seen Angus!

    I made this same trip when we were in England. So interesting.

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  13. The fame of Angus grows more and more - I think early mornings are his preferred time of day :O))) I have seen him sitting in the window of a house at the top of that street next to an empty cake stand. I leave you to draw your own conclusions. I think quite a lot of Elizabethan chaps wore an earring - and I agree with you about not paying to see Shakespeare's grave! You are very, very brave to venture into Stratford on a bank holiday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes Gattina,that was a beautiful Shakespearian story! That Tomcat was definitely spraying the lower postcards.!!
    Do you know the story of a very special Cornish cat? The title of the book is "The Mousehole Cat". It's written by Antonia Barber and illustrated by Nicola Bayley.There's also a movie of this cat, which saved the entire population of the village of Mousehole from starvation. You can look it up with Google.

    ReplyDelete
  15. aww, too bad you didn't see the cat :( at least you had fun looking!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awe too bad,the cat sighting certainly would have been the climax, of the trip......

    Clever he must be, to steer clear on such a day. Maybe he was busy catching mice, ewe....

    Thanks for linking......

    A+

    ReplyDelete

Dear Anonymous,
Please do not be shy and leave your name, otherwise you will end up in the bin !