12 Nov 2016

STREAM OF CONSCIOUSNESS - mem

When I read the prompt of this week "Choose a word or words with the letters “mem” in that order and run with it. Enjoy!" I didn't enjoy, I googled what "mem" means ! and I learned a lot again !!

Not only is Mem believed to derive from the Egyptian hieroglyphic symbol for water, but also the thirteenth letter of the Semitic abjads, including Phoenician mem Hebrew Mem, and Aramaic Mem ! Did you know that ??? I didn't ! I felt like "Back to school"and my general knowledge once again enlarged !

But mem written in capitals is also the abbreviation of "The Master of Engineering Management (MEM) which is a professional degree program offered by Thayer School of Engineering at Dartmouth in conjunction with Tuck School of Business. Being more artistic than interested in engineering, I extended my researches and learned that the Memphis airport is also called "MEM". The only thing in Memphis which had interested me was the home of Elvis and his airplane, but not the Memphis airport, because we had arrived by car.

After these highly scientifical researches, I read the prompt again and realized that I had misunderstood ! Stupid girl I told myself, next time read twice don't forget that you were 16 when you learned English and not at one or two years like the anglophones !

The only word which came now in to my mind was Mem/phis, because I had just written the word.
But before I start all over again, and I don't want to bore you to death with words like dismembers, enthymemes, homemakers, and immemorial taken out of Wordfind for crosswords, I leave my entry for this "meme" like it is !


Link here

8 comments:

  1. Mem is the Frysian name for Mum. Since only my father is Frysian and not my mother, we never called them by that name, but I have several cousins who call their mother Mem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The bonus of misunderstanding is that we have now learnt the meaning of MEM, it made me smile anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. IS'nt it grand what one could do on the computer.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
  4. These moments are good for keeping your brain active.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Coincidentally, there was a story on tv last night about seniors taking balance classes and that it reduces the number of falls by 40%.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gettina I love the way your mind works, I can step over here and continue my education. Who knew? All the things about MEM... But my suggestion is that you don't read my soCs this week because my response to mem could be very confusing & goodness knows what will happen if you google some of that. You delivered a very nice honest response. Well done😇

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post. Going off at a tangent is a great way of answering the SOCs prompt.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! I learned something new too! Thanks for looking up "mem" as a word, Gattina. :D And thanks for joining in. :D

    ReplyDelete

Dear Anonymous,
Please do not be shy and leave your name, otherwise you will end up in the bin !