15 Sept 2015

A WALK THROUGH BRUSSELS

I don't go often to Brussels city center unless there are special events, or if I have a visitor from abroad. This was the case when my French friend Claudie was on visit as she does each year.



All around the famous Grand' Place are lots of shops with Belgian chocolate. Claudie is a "sweet" girl so she walked along the shops with a watering mouth and went inside to buy some sweets.



Carriages took people around from all over the world



The beautiful historical buildings of the Grand'Place had been restored since 2011. Now the next to last building had been finished and the scaffolds taken down. All the golden decorations and sculptures had been repainted with a special color mixed with 8 x 8 cm sheets of gold of  23,75 carats which is quite a lot if you consider that a normal high quality jewelry contains 18 carats.

The result is really beautiful ! Especially when the sun is shining and the gold glitters in the sun.



Just in a little side street at the Grand'Place is this very old bar called "Le cercueil" which means "The coffin". It exists as long as I can remember and I have been in there in my 20th. My company used to take their customers there, because it's quite a special place, the beer is served in skulls and the tables are coffins.



I saw another carriage behind "La Bourse" the ancient stock market which will become a Belgian beer museum in 2018. It will probably be called "Belgian Beer Palace " but it has not been decided yet. Important transformations and renovations are going on inside and the building is closed.



I discovered a restaurant for me "Le Chat" = "The Cat"



It always amazes me to see these little houses glued to the church



Lots of restaurants, Brasseries and cafés are all around



So is street music



St Michael and St Gudula Cathedral where the royals get married and the royal funeral services are held.





Just in front is a nice little park.

This finished our walk and we returned home.


more participants here

6 comments:

  1. I'd like to see more of the city centre. Great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the walk around Brussels, it brought back memories of my visit a few years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely architecture. The cathedral is impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Gattina - Brussels is amazing ... I love the Belgian architecture. That "Le cercueil" looks to be huge fun - hope the food and drink is more alive than dead?! Just a lovely place to visit ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Gattina, lovely walk, I truly enjoyed the pictures. I downloaded windows 10 only to get critical errors... I am thankful for those young people who post helpful tutorials, now I have my laptop back!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like a busy place...coffee is on

    ReplyDelete

Dear Anonymous,
Please do not be shy and leave your name, otherwise you will end up in the bin !